As part of our series celebrating the female business owners of Mission Farms, we’re featuring Q&As with some of the owners. Get to know Vilma Subel, owner of Xiphium Salon.
1. What got you into this business/industry?
My passion for art and taking care of people coincided resulting in me landing in Cosmetology! I love creating art on live/three dimensional canvases.
2. What is the most challenging part about owning your own business?
Attempting to keep employees and guests all happy at once! The balancing act of trying to please so many people at once can be a bit tiresome at times but, there is such a sense of accomplishment when you have those days that you achieved making everyone else’s day!
3. Who is your woman spirit animal?
Michelle Obama: She is passionate, tough, smart and loving. I love the way she cares about people and their well-being. She is one of my “Sheros”!
4. What is your favorite part about running your own business?
Having fun ideas and running with them along with sharing the great results with my team and guests!!
5. What is the best piece of advice you can give young adults?
Be authentic/true to yourself. Staying humble and having integrity in every thing you do in your professional and personal life speaks volumes!
6. What is the best piece of business advice you have received?
Wow….I’ve received so many but, one that really sticks with me is to strive to keep consistency with our service and make every visit to our business an “experience” rather than just a service: “Selling the Invisible”.
7. What is your favorite quote that keeps you motivated?
“Feel the fear and do it anyway”
8. Where do you look to find inspiration for your business ideas?
Oh, man, everywhere!!! I’m very observant and I watch everything around me when I’m in retail stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. I’m like an owl with my eyes and ears open picking up behaviors and services practices that I’d like to mirror. If we stop and pay attention, we can learn so much.
- What do you think makes your company stand out?
We strive to make everyone who walks through our door feel very welcomed and listened to. My goal from day one was to share my space with all who enter and have an environment where all people feel the sincerity of my team. We’ve been told many times that we instill a sense of calm and trust while an individual is under our care. Oh, and that we do awesome hair and facials, too!!! LOL!!!!!!